Paint Dot Truck

      Comments Off on Paint Dot Truck

So I finally had a nice day today that was just a perfect day to get something done.  Weather-wise that is.  It wasn’t too windy.  It wasn’t too hot.  I can finally walk without a lot of pain now.

About three months ago, I took off my truck topper.

Truck with Topper

I’ve never been a fan of toppers and while it was perfectly matched to the truck, I still prefer to replace it with a Tonneau cover.  Which I hope to have on by winter.  However, the topper has been on the truck since it was originally manufactured.  Removing it had some repercussions.  Such as it took a lot of paint off the truck bed edge.  Some was gone already and rusted.  Plus there were some nasty rust spots inside the bed as well.  Just after the topper came off, I bought the matching primer, paint and clear coat.  Along with some paper and tape that supposedly the pros use.

Today I decided to fix it.  Keep in mind, I’ve never done this kind of thing before.  I’m not in the field of body work and paint, nor do I wish to be.  Though I do really want to keep this truck in good shape.

I had some help.  Though I can’t say for sure if it would’ve turned out better my way or their way.  First I sanded everything down.  I wished I could’ve done the whole truck box, but I didn’t have the funds but for what absolutely needed fixing.

I also taped off areas I didn’t want painted.  Now I wanted to keep the paint from getting to close to the tape.  This way I had hoped it would blend in better.  Plus any mishaps would be hidden when I put the Tonneau cover on.  So when I did the primer, it turned out like so.

The problem came in when I tried to do a wet sand.  Seems all I was doing was removing the primer again.  I didn’t take photos, but my help resprayed the primer and put a lot of it right up to the edge of the tape.

When I tried to put on the paint, I moved the taped edge down some.  In hopes that it would blend a little of the edge in as again, the wet sand only seemed to remove primer, not smooth it.  No such luck.  I’m not real thrilled with how it turned out.  Though I suppose it’s better than when I started.  After putting on two coats of paint, I tried to use a buffing wheel on my drill to sort of blend it in.  The wheel I bought simply started to fall apart on contact.  Spewing lint and threading all over the place.  I cleaned it up and since I was out of options, I put two coats of the clear coat on.  Here’s how it turned out.

The whole process took most of the day.  Started at 9am and finished around 7pm.  Once I got all the sanding done, it was an hour between each coat of primer, paint and clear coat.  So someday I hope to have someone better than me to blend it a bit in to remove the noticeable edge.  😕

Shortlink: